Thursday 8 February 2018

Getting into the Swing of Spring

I know it may be a bit premature with a cold week ahead but I'm starting to feel that enthusiasm that comes with Spring. I'm noticing the lengthening days. I feel like doing things outside inside of hibernating under a quilt. And of course the Spring Quilt is coming along apace.

Blocks 5-8 are now completed. I'm so glad I went with the pastel colours. It feels delicate and new - just like a spring bud!
These are the Valentine Heart and the Tea Leaf Block.

I decided to make the blocks really simple - based mainly on nine patch blocks with basket type blocks in the corners. So far there is a basket of grapes, a tea leaf (we drink lots of tea at the class) and the next ones are in the planning stage. Sugar Bowl will be the next corner block, but I haven't decided on the last one yet.

I managed to get the lemon curd done ready for some Viennese Whirls. Yum.  Homemade Lemon Curd is one of the great delicacies of all time.
Vienesse Whirls filled with buttercream (with a couple of teaspoons of lemon curd added) - a centre of sharp sweet lemon curd oozes out when you bite into them - I'm making your mouth water aren't I?

LEMON CURD RECIPE
Grate rind from 4 lemons then squeeze juice. (5 lemons if they are small)
200g caster sugar
100g butter cut into cubes
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
(you can add two teaspoons of cornflour  at the melting stage if you are worried it will not set properly)
Melt the sugar, butter and lemon juice & rind in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Lightly whisk eggs yolks and and sieve into the melted mixture. Stir gently until thickened.  Pour into clean jars and store in the 'fridge.  They won't last long!
These are ex- Nutella glasses which handily come with a little snap-on top. If you are going to give away as gifts or store for more than a week (like that will happen!) you should sterilise the jars.

You can make a lovely cake using a Victoria Sandwich recipe with a big dollop of lemon curd added to the mix. Sandwich together with lemon curd (and cream or buttercream if you are feeling indulgent). I'll dig out my recipe given to me by an 80-year old baker from the WI some 35 years ago when I used to bake for the WI market in Durham. It was the most delicious cake I had ever tasted and that is going some, as my mother was a great baker, so too was my maternal grandmother - her bread was out of this world. Actually I have a lot to thank my Grandmas for.  My paternal grandmother was from Belgium and, along with her twin sister, worked at Harrods making silk and satin underwear by hand for bespoke orders.  She died when I was thirteen so, sadly,  never knew how much hand stitching would come to mean in my life. Her father was a baker in a village in Belgium. It's all in the genes!

Max stayed at the weekend.
He's still not very well and had rather a restless night. Steph took him to the doctor on Monday afternoon - poor little mite had a burst eardrum. He's had problems with his ears since he was tiny.  He had grommets fitted but I'm guessing they must have fallen out.
He likes to have his rabbit on top of his head  (as you do) I saw him last night and he is much better - all smiles and jumping around again, thank goodness.  He'll be back this weekend so I get to have lots of cuddles - I love it so much - two year old's cuddles are the best thing in the world! I have to stop myself nibbling him to bits though. They lose patience with that when they get older.

So until next time - be safe and well.




No comments:

Post a Comment